A bright future starts with HELP
HELP for Domestic Workers (HELP) started as a spontaneous initiative by a group of lawyers who, in the late 1980s, perceived the growing need to provide employment advice and support services for foreign domestic workers in Hong Kong. HELP now deals with around 2500-3000 cases a year.
There are currently about 380,000 foreign domestic workers in Hong Kong predominantly from the Philippines and Indonesia. They come to Hong Kong to work for various reasons, such as limited job opportunities in their own countries. Many of them leave their families behind in order to earn a living and support their dependents back home. HELP offers a drop in clinic that provides advice and assistance to domestic workers to help them understand their rights and guide them through the Hong Kong legal system. Our mission is to ensure that all domestic workers, irrespective of nationality, have access to justice and receive equal treatment before the law.
Intern with HELP
What you might be doing:
- Interviewing clients and keeping records;
- Drafting letters;
- Assisting in the preparation of statements for court proceedings;
- Escorting a client to conciliation meetings and hearings;
- Liaising with the Police, Labour, Immigration and other government departments on behalf of clients;
- Assisting in the recovery of personal belongings;
- Managing client files and inputting into the client database;
- Collating data on client statistics;
- Helping prepare newsletters; and
- Helping plan and implement fund raising activities.
What skills are we looking for:
- Students in their 2nd undergraduate year or above, studying law or social/human rights disciplines
- Knowledge of human rights issues is helpful, particularly those migrant workers face
- Excellent English written and spoken communication skills is essential
- Knowledge of an Asian language is desirable, especially Bahasa Indonesia or Tagalog
- Ability to work independently, but know when to ask for support
- Critical thinking
- Ability to work with a team
Where and when:
- Monday to Friday: 10am to 6pm
- HELP office in the Administration Building at St John’s Cathedral, 4-8 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong and from time to time attend court hearings and meetings outside the office.
Remuneration and benefits:
- None provided
- Internship period 1: Monday 27 May 2019 – Friday 19 July 2019
- Internship period 2: Monday 22 July 2019 – Friday 13 September 2019
How to apply:
Please apply via the link above or send your CV, completed application form and a cover letter explaining your interest to email@example.com
"Our clients endure so much to empower themselves and support their families. It’s a privilege to be able to support them in their time of need and advocate for their right to work with dignity."
– Jess Tsang, Yale Law School Student Intern, Summer 2015