With 30 years of providing our vital service to domestic workers in Hong Kong, we took some time to consider our highlights over the past 3 decades. Here are our Top 5:
- Shortly after we were founded in 1989, and settled into our offices in St Johns Cathedral, we went from a solely volunteer based organisation to bringing on board our first ever employee, a Mrs Phillipson, who became our crucial and much respected Office Manager.
- At the turn of the century, our first ever Board was established with six members including our Founder, the inspiring James Collins.
- In 2002, due to a growing demand for our service, we extended our help to the Indonesian community of domestic workers who were entering the country at a rapid rate. A large number of these clients came to us because they were being paid less than the minimum wage.
- In 2016, we were named one of “Hong Kong’s Everyday Heroes of 2016” by South China Morning Post
- A year later, we celebrated Liza Avelino, a Filipino domestic worker, reaching the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro in aid of HELP for Domestic Workers. She did all this, whilst holding down a full-time job looking after a family in Hong Kong. She was an inspiration to so many workers and to us too.
Join us to celebrate our 30 years at our 30th anniversary party, click here to buy tickets.